Help Me, I'm Drowning in Debt - I Need Help with Debt Now
If you’re thinking, “Help me! I’m drowning in debt. I need help with my debt right now!” You’ve come to right place. If anyone can assist you, we can. We'll help you figure out what you need to do to find your footing and get your finances back on track, and if we can't help you ourselves, at the very least, we’ll refer you to someone who can.
How We Assist When You Need Help with Debt Now
We are a non-profit organization. We were created to help people who are over their head in debt and need help with their situation now. We offer free, confidential and non-judgmental appointments with our professionally accredited Credit & Debt Counsellors. We offer free appointments in person across Canada or over the phone if that’s easier for you.
In an appointment, a Counsellor will assist you in the following ways. They will . . .
- Review your financial situation with you.
- Help you create a budget to see how your expenses compare to your income.
- Look for opportunities to refine your budget and offer suggestions for you to consider.
- Explore all viable options with you to resolve your debt situation (we’ll give you some examples below).
- Potentially help you save thousands of dollars in interest.
Some of the Debt Relief Options that May Be Available to You
In addition to one of our Credit Counsellors helping you find ways to resolve your debt situation on your own, they will also see if your situation may qualify you for a number of options that few people know about. Here are some of these potential options:
- Debt Management Program – if this program makes sense for your situation, your debt payments would be combined into one affordable monthly payment and your interest rates would either be dropped to zero or substantially reduced. Your debts would then be completely paid off in 2 – 5 years, and all records of the debts on the program would be erased from your credit report no later than 2 years after you finish it.
- Consumer Proposal – if this looks like your best option, our Counsellor will refer you to a reputable bankruptcy trustee who would attempt to negotiate a monthly repayment with your creditors that is less than what you currently owe. Repayments on this program can also take 2 – 5 years. However, 4 – 5 years is more typical. A Consumer Proposal impacts your credit for the length of your program plus a maximum of 3 years.
- Debt Settlement – if you have access to a lump sum of money, you could potentially use this to settle your debts for less than you owe. While this is not an option for most people, it can be a good option for the right set of circumstances – especially extreme circumstances.
What to Do if “I’m in Debt & Need Help Now Because I’m Drowning”
As you can no doubt tell, if you feel like shouting, “Help! I’m drowning in debt and I need help now,” free, confidential assistance is available. There are no cookie-cutter solutions where one size fits all. And if you're not able to pay your debts and just need to stop collection agents from calling, we can help you with that too. You really need to sit down with a Credit Counsellor either in person or over the phone and go through your situation. Only then can the options that may work best for you be identified, and you can put together an action plan with a Credit Counsellor to fix your debt problems, end the stress, and get your finances back on track. Give us a call today. We’re here to help.